Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Stug riders part2

Hello again! Here's a small update of my latest project "Stug Riders". In the first post all the attention went to the build of the Sturmgeschutz III itself. Now all the details are where they should be and it is completely finished, this was necessary so I could see where all the figures could be placed. And that brings us to the next chapter... Making the figures.


The idea was to stash up as many figures as possible on this tank. I kept in mind that I wanted to add about twenty four figures to get as close as possible to the reference pics. Before I began I knew that I had to modify all the figures so they would sit in a natural pose, (with other words: a damn lot of work) but I liked the challenge. After four or five figures I came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough body parts in stock to do this, So I needed a solution. I had a few Germans lying around here and there in the scratch box and after a bit of serious chopping, remodeling and a curse or two they surrendered and their body parts were ready to become a neat and orderly mould. Now my clones are ready to become a bunch of Stug Riders. Eventually twenty of these fellows will catch this ride. I went for twenty four, but came to the conclusion that twenty was better for a good overall balance.


I started with moulding four pairs of butts and nine pairs of boots, to have enough options to create random combinations. The connection between the legs and the boots is made with copper wire, so I can bend it in the right pose. Later on the gaps will be sculpted with green stuff/magic putty. I needed to start with the base to deceide how the figures will be posed later on. So Stug, details, feet, butts, and then the rest will follow eventually.



At the same time I am working on the stowage because that will ultimately be just as important for the balance and realism of this diorama. I've added some jerrycans and crates which will later on be filled with provision. But that is all part of the bigger vision that is slowly comming to life for this diorama.




Thanks again for reading and 'till next time... Bye!

16 comments:

  1. Wonderful work, and so daring, too. Fitting that many fellas onto the vehicle's going to be a great sight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter,it will be indeed a great sight when finished.

      Delete
  2. This is going to look fantastic when it's done. I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I have the same feeling Warren, I hope it comes out that way.

      Delete
  3. Wederom geweldig mooi werk Ludo,je zal je handen vol hebben met deze figuren we blijven dit met zeer veel belangstelling volgen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankje Danny, ieder beetje tijd dat ik kan vrijmaken besteed ik aan dit project. Dus voorlopig ben ik wel even bezig.

      Delete
  4. Eventually it will be a masterpiece. My compliments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20!!!!, excellent and really looking forward to more and completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Fran, for me the fun part has started, Giving those characters some personality...So again stay tuned.

      Delete
  6. Looking good! A great idea to put all the figures on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello Ludo, what a big task to achieve all these soldiers, but will be a masterpiece when finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanks Hubert, It is a bigger task than I could imagine. So I hope it will come out great.

      Delete
  8. Exelnt - there is nothig so much catchy eye that whole soldiers loaded stug. Great Work ... Once I have seen I believe Cromwell Models with 14 !!! STUG Riders - but it cost 150 Euro! anyway Lokks like stunner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails